Monday, February 19, 2007

OF MY GOALS AND SUCH

The craving to write is getting at me again. I’ve stepped away from my novel for the various illnesses that have struck my house since the new year, and I really want to get back into things. Then I did the Flash Fiction Challenge at AW. Loved it.

So I sat down and wrote out some small writerly goals for myself. These are things I want to do.

1. Write 500 words a day.
2. Write 4 blog entries a week.
3. Submit 2 freelancing queries a month.
4. Write and submit 1 short story a month.
5. Write reviews for all the books I read.

Obviously, if I plant my butt in a chair, numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4 shouldn’t be a problem. For number 3, Jenna’s book is on its way in the mail somewhere, so I’m hoping to take action after I’ve scoured it for every piece of information I can.

In addition to these writing-related goals, I have some other things I’d like to do, which may or may not relate to writing.

Post more crits on AW
1. Learn about freelancing (see above)
2. Buy Holly Lisle’s Clinics
3. Contact the local Ivy Tech about taking a couple of classes
4. Research Work at Home information
5. Work on grant funding for PCHS/Catnippers.

These are the things I want to work on. I figure one step at a time, and I'll get there. Just tortoise-style is all. Of course, I must also spend some time re-familiarizing myself with my novel. It's slipped away some, but I'm hoping I have enough notes. And, I think if I start spending some significant time with it, all the stuff will come back to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Piper is feeling better. Glad she can sleep (better) again.

Several of your writing goals are the same as mine! That's cool!

That's the way to get anything to turn into a habit: One step at a time.

Good luck, and hope Piper gets to feeling better.

Carrie said...

I love Jenna's book. Very, very helpful. I've been so crazy busy and I'm getting the itch to work on my novel - hopefully soon things will calm down and I can lock myself in my room and work.

The good stuff will come back to you with your novel. I found it really helpful (while in the writing stage) to daydream about it a lot. It'd be like watching little movie scenes in my head. :oD

Anonymous said...

I need to emulate you and take one step at a time and achieve some of the things I need to achieve. Thank you for that post - perfect timing to remind me that I really shouldn't wait for life to behave before I move forward.

Talia said...

You missed out sleeping :D