Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sensory Overload

I'm finally getting around to this post about something I noticed the other day. Pete often rants (or discusses, whatever) about how technology is bad for writing in many cases. I don't disagree with that. There are times that a good pen and a 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 two subject notebook (They fit so neatly in the purse!) are just what I need.

But the other day during my commute home, I just wanted all the noise to stop. Which is odd because the main noise is my radio, which I select and often enjoy the sound from. It was all too much. So I did the sanest thing I could do at the moment and popped in a classical music CD I keep in the car. It seems Beethoven is on of my favorites. Especially Moonlight Sonata. I listened to that CD for two days straight.

Then it hit me that I don't get to listen to as much relaxing music as I used. Most workplaces block internet radio sites. In my temporary job, we'd found a way around it, and I often listened to a New Age radio station. At home I listen to AudioVisions on the TV, and I have tons of Celtic and Native American flute music. But I listen to many types of music in general. I'm dying to get a Tom Petty album because I don't have one, and I'd love to listen to some of that.

But as Pete has discussed, I find myself turning away from technology. There's nothing wrong with my favorite sites, it's just that I don't get as much out of them as before. I just want to tone it down. Everything in my life needs to be toned down.

So there you have, it I find myself relaxed and in the mood to write by listening to New Age and classical music. Who knew?

3 comments:

Peter Damien said...

My problem with music (which is an off-and-on problem, and mostly not connected to technology) is that it almost becomes white noise, sometimes. It's like leaving your TV on a static channel (not that those particularly exist anymore) and then bringing it with you everywhere.

At home, nearly any song I want is available to me at a moment's notice through Napster. In the car, my wife has all sorts of radio presets.

And yet, sometimes, I find that I want to listen to Beethoven (Moonlight Sonata is beautiful), or listen to nothing but the wind blow.

A'course, then I have days like today when I'm jamming to the blues while I work, so I hope no one thinks I'm vilifying music or anything. :)

Midnight Muse said...

When I'm in the mood to truly relax, I find Chant by the Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo Del Silos the perfect CD.

Or anything by the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I'm so used to having that constant white noise (I have timpania) that I use the sound of music in the background to actually give me the silence I can't get with, well, silence. I can turn on a radio or put in a CD and ignore it - where silence gives me a static sound that gets pretty friggin' loud.

Unless I'm outside and the birds are providing the background. That, I love!

Tori O. said...

I'm very eclectic in my music preferences, too, Pete. And, as MM noted the same issue, I don't deal with silence very well. Whereas my husband loves it, but that's another story.

I'll turn the TV on and ignore it just for the sake of noise. I think all that stems from childhood trauma, and it's creepy for it to be very quiet.

And I was wrong. On lucky 7 radio, I listen to the meditation channel, which is often nature or ocean sounds in addition to whatever else they play. It's soothing and not distracting.

Where music helps my writing is when a song moves me enough that I can tap into that emotion and energy and use it to put words down on the page. That's the fun part of listening to music while writing.